This easy crockpot creamy white chicken chili is one of our all-time favorite dinners. It's so flavorful thanks to the perfect amount of spice and salsa verde. It's also a great option for a busy day when you want dinner ready in a pinch! You're going to love this family favorite!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It's made with simple ingredients and pantry staples you likely have on hand
- It's packed with protein from tender chicken, greek yogurt, and great northern beans
- It's an easy dinner requiring minimal effort for busy weeknights. Simply toss the ingredients in the slow cooker and dinner comes together quickly that evening!
- The toppings are customizable and take the chili to the next level.
- Olive oil - feel free to use avocado oil as well
- White onion - we prefer to use a white onion, but a yellow onion works great too.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts - You can use frozen or fresh chicken. Note that the cooking time will vary slightly. Skinless chicken thighs will work here as well.
- Chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic powder - this combo of spices completes this soup! Don't skip any.
- Salsa verde - any kind of canned salsa verde will do the trick.
- Chicken broth - chicken broth, chicken stock, or chicken bone broth will all work. A box or can of chicken broth works. We prefer to use a low-sodium chicken broth.
- Corn and great northern beans - drain a can of each of these.
- Chopped cilantro and lime - provides the finishing touch.
- Plain Greek yogurt - the plain greek yogurt makes the soup creamy and delicious! Be sure to follow the recommendations in the instructions for tempering the yogurt to prevent curdling. Skip the yogurt for a dairy-free version that is still delicious.
- Lime wedges, tortilla chips, avocado - all optional ingredients for serving but highly recommended.
See the recipe card below for a complete list of ingredients and measurements for this creamy crockpot white chicken chili.
Equipment You’ll Need
- Cutting board and knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Can opener
Step by Step Directions
For the full recipe instructions, scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
In a crockpot, add the olive oil, white onion, chicken breast, chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic powder, salsa verde, and chicken broth. Let the mixture cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours depending on the time you have available.
Once the chicken is tender, use two forks to finely shred the chicken in the crockpot. Add the corn, great northern beans, chopped cilantro, and lime.
Next, add the greek yogurt by tempering it to prevent it from curdling. Do this by placing the greek yogurt in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp of hot broth and mix it into the yogurt. Repeat this process three more times. Next add the mixture into the rest of the soup and stir well.
Tips & Variations
- Be sure to temper the greek yogurt as listed in the instructions to prevent curdling.
- Feel free to add a can of diced green chiles for extra flavor if desired.
- You can swap the greek yogurt with cream cheese, sour cream, or heavy cream for an extra creamy flavor.
- If you don't have great northern beans, cannellini beans, pinto beans, or black beans will work.
- Add bell peppers or green onions for extra veggies if desired.
- Add whatever shredded cheddar cheese you like—pepper jack cheese and Mexican shredded cheese are good options.
- Be sure to add your favorite toppings to make it more of a hearty meal. Enjoy the best white chicken chili recipe!
Yes, you can make this recipe on the stovetop as well! Follow the same instructions for the crockpot by adding the first set of ingredients to a large pot and bringing it to a boil over medium heat. Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove it from the pot and shred it. Add the shredded chicken back into the pot with the corn, beans, cilantro, lime, and greek yogurt. You could also opt for rotisserie chicken instead and skip the boiling chicken step.
Store this chili in an air tight container for up to 5 days. You can also store it in an air tight container in the freezer for up to 2 months for an easy freezer meal.
This recipe is gluten-free. For a dairy-free version, simply omit the greek yogurt. As always, ensure each individual ingredient meets your dietary needs.
If you like this creamy chili recipe, check out our other slow cooker recipes:
If you make this white bean chicken chili, please let us know how it turns out in the comments below and/or rate the recipe! Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram to show us your finished product—it makes our day every time we see you trying the recipes we love!
Crockpot Creamy White Chicken Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups salsa verde
- 4 cups chicken broth (low-sodium)
- 1 can corn, drained (15.25 oz can)
- 1 can great northern beans, drained (15.5 oz can)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (optional, can omit for dairy-free needed)
- Juice from 1/2 of a lime
- Optional toppings: lime wedges, tortilla chips, avocado, shredded cheese, green onion
- In a crockpot, add the olive oil, white onion, chicken breast, chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic powder, salsa verde, and chicken broth. Let the mixture cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours depending on the time you have available.
- Once the chicken is tender, use two forks to finely shred the chicken in the crockpot. Add the corn, great northern beans, chopped cilantro, and lime.
- Next, add the greek yogurt by tempering it to prevent it from curdling. Do this by placing the greek yogurt in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp of hot broth and mix it into the yogurt. Repeat this process three more times. Next add the mixture into the rest of the soup and stir well.
- Top with more fresh lime juice, tortilla chips, shredded cheese and avocado if desired.
The recipe can be found on My Fitness Pal by searching "BWB Crockpot White Chicken Chili."
The nutrition content provided for each recipe is an estimate created through the My Fitness Pal database. Please be aware that the nutritional content of each recipe may vary based on the products you use, the precision of your measurements, and the source you use to obtain nutrition data. While we try to provide accurate information, we give no guarantee regarding the accuracy of the nutritional information provided.