These easy chocolate covered date snickers are about to become your new favorite treat. You'll take a date, stuff it with peanut butter, cover it with a layer of melted chocolate, and sprinkle crushed peanuts and sea salt on top. They're the perfect easy treat that will remind you of the classic Snickers.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
While these snickers dates don't taste identical to a real snickers bar, we think they're equally as delicious! Snickers dates are essentially chocolate covered dates stuffed with peanut butter. Dates are naturally sweet and have a caramel like texture. You'll only need 5 simple ingredients for this recipe, they're easy and quick to make, and you can store them in the freezer so you'll always have a treat on hand when the sweet tooth hits. If you like our chocolate raspberry bark and s’mores mix, you’re going to love these dates!
- Dates: If you haven't tried a date, you're in for a surprise! They are naturally sweet and chewy, making them perfect for this recipe. There are several different kinds of dates. Medjool and Deglet Noor are the varieties most commonly at the grocery store. For this recipe, we recommend Medjool dates. While both dates will work great, Medjool dates are often larger and easier to pack with peanut butter. Trader Joe's and Costco are most often where we buy dates. You can find dates in the produce section of most grocery stores.
- Peanut butter: We used natural crunchy peanut butter for this recipe but creamy peanut butter will work great too. Feel free to use whatever you have on hand, or switch it up for a different nut butter like almond butter or cashew butter. Kirkland and Adam's are our go-to brands of peanut butter.
- Chocolate Chips & Coconut Oil: Chocolate chips and coconut oil will melt together for the chocolate coating. We used semi-sweet chips in this recipe, but feel free to use whatever chocolate chips you prefer. For a dairy-free option, we recommend Enjoy Life, Lily's, or Trader Joe's. You could also chop up your favorite milk or dark chocolate bar.
- Peanuts & Sea Salt: While these ingredients are optional, they are delicious sprinkled on top of the chocolate-covered dates. You could substitute the peanuts for other nuts of your choice. A sprinkle of flaky salt and salty peanuts on top is the perfect addition.
See the recipe card below for a complete list of ingredients and measurements.
Equipment You’ll Need
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Microwave-safe bowl or small sauce pan
- Butter knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
Step by Step Directions
1: Slice each date in half on one side, creating a pocket. Use a butter knife to carefully place about 1 teaspoon of peanut butter in the center of the date. Press the date closed.
2: Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave or on the stove top.
3: Insert a fork or toothpick into the date and dip the date in the melted chocolate until its fully covered. Place it on the lined baking sheet. Repeat this process for each date. Sprinkle the tops of the chocolate covered dates with crushed peanuts and sea salt, if desired.
4: Place the tray in the fridge or freezer until the chocolate has hardened. Store in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container. Enjoy!
For the full recipe instructions, scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Tips & Variations
- You can use any nut or seed butter for this recipe. A few alternatives include macadamia, almond, cashew, or sunflower seed butter.
- Don't overstuff the dates with peanut butter or else you will have a hard time closing them and dipping them in the chocolate.
- If you'd rather skip dipping each date individually in chocolate, feel free to drizzle melted chocolate on top or just press a few chocolate chips into the peanut butter.
Store the dates in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer. We prefer to freeze them and let them come to room temperature before eating.
These dates are naturally gluten-free and can be easily made dairy-free! Ensure that the chocolate you use is dairy-free. We recommend Enjoy Life. As always, ensure each individual ingredient meets your dietary needs. These dates are also vegetarian and vegan if you use dairy-free chocolate.
If you like this delicious treat, check out a few other easy treats:
If you make these snicker dates, please let us know how it turns out in the comments below and/or rate the recipe! Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram to show us your finished product—it makes our day every time we see you trying the recipes we love!
Easy Chocolate Covered Date Snickers
- 10 dates (we recommend using Medjool dates)
- 3 tbsp natural crunchy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Crushed peanuts and sea salt for topping, optional
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice each date in half on one side, creating a pocket. Use a butter knife to carefully place about 1 teaspoon of peanut butter in the center of the date. Press the date closed.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Melt in the microwave for 30 second increments until the chocolate is smooth and melted. Watch closely to avoid burning the chocolate.
- Insert a toothpick into the date and carefully dip the date in chocolate. Let any extra chocolate drip off. Place the date onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat this process for all 10 dates.
- Top the dates with crushed peanuts and sea salt if desired. Place the baking sheet in the fridge until the dates are hardened. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer.
- Store the dates in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer. We prefer to freeze them and let them come to room temperature before eating.
- These dates are naturally gluten-free and can be easily made dairy-free! Ensure that the chocolate you use is dairy-free. We recommend Enjoy Life. As always, ensure each individual ingredient meets your dietary needs. These dates are also vegetarian and vegan if you use dairy-free chocolate.
- We often provide tips and suggestions for how a recipe can be created to be dairy-free, gluten-free, vegetarian, or vegan. It is your responsibility to select and use products as well as work in an environment that will meet those criteria. We are not responsible for any reaction or adverse event that may result from making our recipes.
The recipe can be found on My Fitness Pal by searching "BWB Date Snickers."
The nutrition content provided for each recipe is an estimate created through the My Fitness Pal database. Please be aware that the nutritional content of each recipe may vary based on the products you use, the precision of your measurements, and the source you use to obtain nutrition data. While we try to provide accurate information, we give no guarantee regarding the accuracy of the nutritional information provided.