This pesto bruschetta chicken is packed with flavor and fresh ingredients. The chicken features a quick balsamic marinade, pesto, and colorful bruschetta mixture to make it an incredibly flavorful dish.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- If you're looking for new recipes for the new year, this pesto chicken with bruschetta topping is an easy meal to add to the list!
- While we include a balsamic marinade for the chicken, you only have to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes—the whole recipe comes together in under an hour including the marinating time.
- The balsamic marinade, pesto, and bruschetta create layers of flavors that make for a winning Italian dish.
- It is really easy to double the recipe to make a big batch for a larger group or to prepare extra for meals throughout the week.
- Pair with pasta, toasted slices of bread, and/or your favorite roasted veggies or salad kit for a delicious dinner.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast - you will need about 3 large chicken breasts for this recipe. You will butterfly the chicken breasts (cut in half lengthwise) so it will make 6 pieces of chicken.
- For the chicken marinade:
- Balsamic vinegar, fresh lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic, salt, brown sugar
- For the bruschetta topping:
- Grape or cherry tomatoes - we recommend using fresh tomatoes for this recipe rather than the canned varieties for best texture and flavor. You could also use fresh heirloom tomatoes or other larger tomatoes, but we recommend dicing them over using a tomato slice so that you can make a tomato mixture to spoon over the chicken. We also would not recommend using a food processor to create the bruschetta as it will result in a saucier mixture.
- Salt, fresh basil leaves, minced garlic (pre-minced or fresh from garlic cloves both work), extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar
- Pesto - pesto is traditionally made with pine nuts, sweet basil, fresh garlic, olive oil, salt, and parmesan cheese. You can opt to make a homemade basil pesto (try our dairy-free recipe here if needed) or use your favorite store-bought pesto! We have found that the Kirkland brand of pesto from Costco and the pesto from Trader Joe's taste most like a homemade pesto. Trader Joe's also has a dairy-free pesto if you don't want to make your own!
See the recipe card below for a complete list of ingredients and measurements.
Equipment You’ll Need
- Knives and cutting boards
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A large bowl or Ziploc bag to marinate the chicken
- Small bowl
- 9x13 baking dish or a baking sheet
- Meat thermometer* (optional, but we recommend to avoid overcooking)
Step by Step Directions
For the full recipe instructions, scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Begin by butterflying your chicken (slice chicken pieces in half lengthwise so you have two thin breasts). Add the chicken breast halves to a bowl or Ziploc bag and add all of the marinade ingredients. Mix well and let the chicken marinate for 30 minutes in the fridge.
While the chicken is marinating, assemble the bruschetta topping. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, salt, chopped basil, minced garlic, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. Mix to evenly coat the tomatoes.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish or a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup. Place the chicken in a single layer on the pan. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken (at thickest part) 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Once the chicken is fully cooked, place the chicken on a platter or individual plates. Use a spoon to spread about 2-3 tsp of pesto on the top of each chicken breast. Then place the bruschetta topping on top of the chicken.
Tips & Variations
- Serve each piece of bruschetta pesto chicken with a bread slice (such as baguette) that is toasted until golden brown.
- You could also serve with al dente pasta or zucchini noodles.
- If you like cheese, feel free to add a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese or grated parmesan cheese to the top of the chicken after it has baked. Stick it back into the oven for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- After the chicken is done baking and you have topped with the tomato bruschetta, add a little bit of balsamic glaze if desired.
- If you like a little bit of spice, sprinkle a pinch of red chili flakes on top.
We recommend storing the chicken and bruschetta in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator.
Definitely! Feel free to cook the marinated chicken in a large skillet (spray with non-stick spray) over medium-high heat and flip each piece of chicken when you can see the sides of the chicken cooking about halfway up. Remove from the heat once it has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Follow the same process for the grill.
This recipe is gluten-free. It is not vegetarian or vegan.
Make it dairy-free: simply use a dairy-free pesto.
If you like this pesto bruschetta chicken recipe, check out…
If you make this pesto chicken bruschetta recipe, please let us know how it turns out in the comments below and/or rate the recipe! Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram to show us your finished product—it makes our day every time we see you trying the recipes we love!
Pesto Bruschetta Chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 3 large chicken breasts)
- 1/3 cup pesto (dairy-free if needed)
For the chicken marinade:
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
For the bruschetta topping:
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Begin by butterflying your chicken (slice chicken pieces in half lengthwise so you have two thin breasts). Add the chicken breast halves to a bowl or Ziploc bag and add all of the marinade ingredients. Mix well and let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- While the chicken is marinating, assemble the bruschetta topping. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, salt, chopped basil, minced garlic, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. Mix to evenly coat the tomatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish or a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup. Place the chicken in a single layer on the pan. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken (at thickest part) 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, place the chicken on a platter or individual plates. Use a spoon to spread about 2-3 tsp of pesto on the top of each chicken breast. Then place the bruschetta topping on top of the chicken.
The recipe can be found on My Fitness Pal by searching "BWB Pesto Bruschetta Chicken." The nutrition was calculated using the kale cashew pesto from Trader Joes.
The nutrition content provided for each recipe is an estimate created through the My Fitness Pal database. Please be aware that the nutritional content of each recipe may vary based on the products you use, the precision of your measurements, and the source you use to obtain nutrition data. While we try to provide accurate information, we give no guarantee regarding the accuracy of the nutritional information provided.