These monster cookie protein balls are packed with ingredients like hearty oats, peanut butter, and protein powder to fuel you and also satisfy a sweet tooth. They are a perfect quick snack for any time of the day inspired by our favorite monster cookies.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- If you're a fan of monster cookies, you'll love this snack!
- This fun snack is an easy option for a work or school snack
- They're a great pre or post-workout option
- You only need simple ingredients
- You can store them for a few weeks in the fridge or months in the freezer
- For a few other easy snack options, check out our protein bars and our protein tropical smoothie.
- Natural peanut butter - we prefer creamy peanut butter with only 2 ingredients for this recipe: peanuts and salt. Feel free to swap this for another kind of nut butter like almond butter, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter. Sunflower butter is a good option for those with a peanut allergy.
- Honey - we suggest honey. Using maple syrup is possible but it may need a few tweaks to reach the desired consistency.
- Vanilla extract
- Vanilla protein powder - use a quality protein powder that you enjoy the taste of. Our recommended brands are Truvani*, Just Ingredients, or Clean Simple Eats*.
- Old-fashioned rolled oats - our favorite brand is one-degree organic from Costco.
- Shredded coconut - sweetened or unsweetened will work here.
- Ground flax seed (optional) - you could also add whole flax seeds.
- Chia seeds (optional)
- Mini chocolate chips
- M&M chocolate candies - use your favorite chocolate candies! Use Unreal candies* or Trader Joe's brand for a dye-free option.
See the recipe card below for a complete list of ingredients and measurements.
Equipment You’ll Need
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cookie dough scoop* (optional)
Step by Step Directions
For the full recipe instructions, scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
In a large bowl, combine the peanut butter, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
Add the protein powder, old-fashioned oats, shredded coconut, flax seed, and chia seeds. Mix together until well combined. Feel free to add additional protein powder or oats if needed to reach desired consistency.
Add the mini chocolate chips.
Gently press a few candies into the top of each protein bite. These protein balls will last for up to a week in the fridge or several months in the freezer. If you use the freezer option, let them thaw for 15 minutes before consuming them.
Tips & Variations
- Feel free to add 1-2 tbsp of collagen peptides if desired for additional protein. The Vital Protein Collagen Peptides* are our go-to.
- Top the monster cookie energy bites with a little flaky sea salt if desired.
- Feel free to add your other favorite mix-ins like chopped dried fruit or nuts.
- You can also use mini M&M's instead of normal sized. Just mix the M&M's in with the mini chocolate chips.
Yes, feel free to make them into bars instead. You may need to add additional protein powder or oats to help them firm up a little more.
Store these protein bites in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or the freezer for up to 3 months. Store them in an air-tight container and allow them to come to room temperature before serving if they are stored in the freezer.
They can be easily made gluten and dairy-free. To make them dairy-free, use dairy-free chocolate chips and chocolate candies or skip the chocolate candies all together. For gluten-free, ensure your oats are certified gluten-free. For a vegan version, use pure maple syrup and note that you may need to adjust the other ingredients to reach the desired consistency. They are vegetarian.
If you like these monster cookie protein bites, check out a few of our other easy snacks:
If you make these high protein monster cookie energy balls, please let us know how they turn out in the comments below and/or rate the recipe! Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram to show us your finished product—it makes our day every time we see you trying the recipes we love!
Monster Cookie Protein Balls
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder (you can add 1-2 tbsp more as needed to reach desired consistency)
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed (optional)
- 2 tsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup M&M chocolate candies for topping
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the protein powder, old-fashioned oats, shredded coconut, flax seed, chia seeds, and chocolate chips. Mix together until well combined. Feel free to add additional protein powder or oats if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Use a cookie scoop or spoon to form the mixture into balls.
- Place the protein balls on a baking sheet or plate and gently press a few candies into the top of each protein bite. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- These protein balls will last for up to 2 weeks in the fridge or several months in the freezer. If you use the freezer option, let them thaw for 15 minutes before consuming them.
The recipe can be found on My Fitness Pal by searching "BWB Monster Cookie Protein Balls."
The nutrition content provided for each recipe is an estimate created through the My Fitness Pal database. Please be aware that the nutritional content of each recipe may vary based on the products you use, the precision of your measurements, and the source you use to obtain nutrition data. While we try to provide accurate information, we give no guarantee regarding the accuracy of the nutritional information provided.