This perfect, fluffy instant pot coconut rice is the easiest way to switch things up from your usual rice. It has the best mild coconut flavor, uses simple ingredients, and cooks quickly in the instant pot.
Why You’ll Love This Easy Recipe
- It only has 3 simple ingredients and is one of our favorite ways to elevate plain white rice dishes.
- It pairs perfectly with grilled meats (like our cilantro ginger chicken) and is a delicious base for salads and bowls. You can also serve it with your favorite main dish!
- The best thing is that it cooks right in the instant pot for a quick, easy, and flavorful side dish. It makes al dente rice every time! We are fans of easy instant pot recipes! We also have a recipe for perfect instant pot brown jasmine rice.
- You can easily store leftovers so you have it on hand throughout the week
- Fresh mango is the perfect accompaniment on top
- It may become a family favorite side dish!
- White jasmine rice - we think that white jasmine rice is the perfect rice for this simple recipe! White rice cooks faster than brown rice and jasmine rice has the perfect texture. If you use a different kind of rice like brown rice, basmati rice, or a regular rice like long grain rice, the cooking time will change and the texture will differ. While some recipes call for rinsed rice, there is no need to rinse rice for this recipe! The end result isn't a super sticky rice, so there's no need to add the extra step.
- Light coconut milk - rather than using a cup of water, you'll need 1 can of coconut milk for this great recipe. This is the ingredient that makes this recipe more flavorful than plain rice! We like to use unsweetened light coconut milk over full-fat coconut milk because we prefer the texture that results. However, you can still use full fat coconut milk (which has more coconut cream) if that is your preference or what you have on hand! We love that the creamy coconut milk adds a delicate coconut flavor and creates a more fragrant rice.
- Sea salt - that's right, only 3 simple ingredients!
See the recipe card below for a complete list of ingredients and measurements.
Equipment You’ll Need
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Instant pot (electric pressure cooker)
Step by Step Directions
For the full recipe instructions, scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Add the jasmine rice, coconut milk, and salt to the instant pot. Stir until combined.
Place and lock the lid on the instant pot. Place the pressure valve to the sealing position. Set the Instant pot to manual High Pressure for 3 minutes. When the instant pot beeps, letting you know the cycle is complete, let it sit for 10 minutes before releasing the remaining pressure with the pressure valve.
Remove the lid, fluff with a fork, and serve. Serve with fresh diced mango on top if desired. Enjoy this delicious side dish!
Tips & Variations
- For extra coconut flavor, you can add a few coconut flakes or shredded coconut to the rice after it has cooked.
- See the FAQ section for instructions on cooking this perfect fluffy coconut rice in the rice cooker.
- Adding a little bit of lime juice or lime zest would also make for a tasty coconut lime rice and great side dish.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. We prefer to lay a damp paper towel on top of the rice before warming it up in the microwave to help add moisture back.
Yes! Simply add the can of coconut milk, the rice, and the sea salt to the pot of the rice cooker. Depending on the rice cooker you have, you can select the quick rice function to reduce the cooking time.
This fluffy rice is the perfect side dish for tropical dishes, Caribbean dishes, Indian dishes, Asian dishes—it pairs well with so many things that it could easily become an everyday rice! That's why it has become one of our favorite recipes for rice. Another great way to serve it would be with Thai curries or stir fry dishes. See below for some of our favorite pairings!
While we haven't tested this recipe with coconut water, you could likely substitute the coconut milk with the same amount of coconut water. However, the coconut flavor will not be as strong and the rice not as creamy. The texture may also differ.
Yes, this recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. If you choose to pair it with soy sauce, make sure to choose a gluten-free version, coconut aminos, or tamari instead.
Need ideas for how to serve this coconut milk rice? Here are some great options!
- Grilled cilantro lime ginger chicken
- Korean inspired ground turkey bowls
- Blackened salmon
- Sesame chicken lettuce wraps
- Chicken tandoori kebabs
- Green curry
- Blackened mahi mahi fish tacos
- Teriyaki salmon bites
- Air fryer orange chicken
If you make this easy instant pot coconut rice recipe, please let us know how it turns out in the comments below and/or rate the recipe! Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram to show us your finished product—it makes our day every time we see you trying the recipes we love!
Perfect Instant Pot Coconut Rice
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine white rice
- 1, 13.5 oz can light, unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Diced mango for serving, optional
- Add the jasmine rice, coconut milk, and salt to the instant pot. Stir until combined.
- Place and lock the lid on the instant pot. Place the pressure valve to the sealing position. Set the Instant pot to manual High Pressure for 3 minutes. When the instant pot beeps, letting you know the cycle is complete, let it sit for 10 minutes before releasing the remaining pressure with the pressure valve. Remove the lid, fluff with a fork, and serve.
- Serve with fresh diced mango on top if desired.
- It is very easy to double this recipe for bigger portions, more servings, or to have left overs for meal prep.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. We prefer to lay a damp paper towel on top of the rice before warming it up in the microwave to help add moisture back.
The recipe can be found on My Fitness Pal by searching "BWB Coconut Rice."
The nutrition content provided for each recipe is an estimate created through the My Fitness Pal database. Please be aware that the nutritional content of each recipe may vary based on the products you use, the precision of your measurements, and the source you use to obtain nutrition data. While we try to provide accurate information, we give no guarantee regarding the accuracy of the nutritional information provided.