This honey garlic green beans recipe is sure to become a family favorite side dish. Roasted salted cashews add additional crunch and flavor.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This green bean recipe is an easy side dish that comes together very quickly. In our opinion, it's the best way to eat fresh beans!
- You will only need a few simple ingredients to bring this easy recipe to life.
- This recipe elevates simple green beans to a very delicious side dish! It is great to serve for a side at Thanksgiving but versatile enough to continue serving throughout the year.
- Fresh green beans - you will need trimmed green beans for this recipe. You can snap the ends off of the green beans or buy pre-trimmed green beans from the grocery store. We do not recommend using canned green beans for this recipe.
- Butter or olive oil - salted or unsalted butter will both work for this recipe. If you prefer olive oil, you can use that instead, but the butter will provide a better flavor.
- Honey - any honey will work here! We like to buy our honey in bulk at Costco. You could also use local honey.
- Minced garlic - feel free to mince your own fresh garlic cloves or buy pre-minced garlic. We recommend fresh garlic over garlic powder.
- Kosher salt or sea salt - just a little bit of salt to help enhance all of the flavors.
- Roasted salted cashews - we love adding chopped cashews to our green beans. It adds so much flavor and an extra crunch. It's the best part!
- Optional: squeeze of fresh lemon to brighten the flavors.
See the recipe card below for a complete list of ingredients and measurements.
Equipment You’ll Need
- A large pot of water
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A large bowl to make an ice bath
- A large skillet
- A rubber spatula
Step by Step Directions
For the full recipe instructions, scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
Once the water is boiling, add the green beans and boil until they are tender, yet still crisp and still a bright green color, about 3-5 minutes.
Drain the boiling water and quickly transfer the cooked green beans with a slotted spoon to an ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Once cool, drain and pat dry.
In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the honey and minced garlic. Stir frequently until the honey is mixed in and the garlic is golden brown in color.
Add the green beans, salt, and roasted cashews to the pan. Stir until the green beans and cashews are evenly coated with the honey garlic sauce. Immediately remove from the heat. Place on your favorite serving dish, spoon any additional sauce over the top, and enjoy!
Tips & Variations
- Feel free to add a squeeze of fresh lemon to brighten the flavor!
- If you like a little heat, sprinkle some red pepper flakes on top or a drizzle of chili sauce.
- To give these green beans an Asian-inspired savory flavor, you could swap the butter for sesame oil, add a small amount of rice vinegar, a splash of soy sauce, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Note that if you are using French green beans, the cooking time may be only 2-3 minutes.
- This honey garlic sauce would also be great with Brussels sprouts or broccoli.
Store the green beans in an airtight container* in the refrigerator.
This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegetarian.
Make it vegan: simply substitute the honey for maple syrup or agave nectar and use olive oil instead of butter.
If you like this recipe, check out some of our other side dishes…
If you make these honey garlic green beans, please let us know how it turns out in the comments below and/or rate the recipe! Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram to show us your finished product—it makes our day every time we see you trying the recipes we love!
Honey Garlic Green Beans With Roasted Cashews
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt + more to taste
- 1/4 cup roasted salted cashews, chopped
- Optional: squeeze of fresh lemon
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Once the water is boiling, add the green beans and boil until they are tender, yet still crisp and still bright green in color, about 3-5 minutes.
- Drain the water and quickly transfer the cooked green beans to an ice bath to stop them from cooking further. Once cool, drain and pat dry.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the honey and minced garlic. Stir frequently until the honey is mixed in and the garlic is golden brown in color.
- Add the green beans, salt, and roasted cashews to the pan. Stir until the green beans and cashews are evenly coated with the butter and garlic. Immediately remove from the heat. Squeeze with fresh lemon if desired. Enjoy!
- This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegetarian.
- Make it vegan: simply substitute the honey for maple syrup or agave nectar and use olive oil instead of butter.
The recipe can be found on My Fitness Pal by searching "BWB Honey Garlic Green Beans."
The nutrition content provided for each recipe is an estimate created through the My Fitness Pal database. Please be aware that the nutritional content of each recipe may vary based on the products you use, the precision of your measurements, and the source you use to obtain nutrition data. While we try to provide accurate information, we give no guarantee regarding the accuracy of the nutritional information provided.