These crispy garlic parmesan smashed potatoes are a great addition to your next meal. The potatoes are coated with olive oil and a tasty seasoning mix before being sprinkled with parmesan and baked to crispy perfection. This easy side dish recipe is on repeat for us all year round!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- You only need a few simple ingredients
- The combo of the garlic and parmesan creates a ton of flavor
- You can easily make them dairy-free and vegan by leaving off the parmesan
- Customize them however you'd like by adding toppings like chives, bacon bits, and sour cream to make the ultimate side dish
- They reheat to a perfect crisp in the air fryer
- It's the perfect side to a main dish like our cilantro chicken and blackened salmon
- The crispy edges have an unbeatable crunch
- Baby potatoes - you'll want to use baby potatoes for this recipe! They boil quickly and are the perfect size to smash. We prefer the baby yukon gold potatoes, but red baby potatoes will work too. Russet potatoes won't work for this recipe.
- Olive oil - important to help the potatoes get crispy! Avocado oil or melted butter will also work as well.
- Salt, paprika, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder - a yummy mix of seasonings to make the flavor pop!
- Grated parmesan - we prefer freshly grated parmesan cheese, however whatever you have on hand will work.
See the recipe card below for a complete list of ingredients and measurements for these garlic parmesan smashed potatoes.
Equipment You’ll Need
- Large pot
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Pastry brush
- Parchment paper for easy clean up
- Baking sheet
- Glass cup
Step by Step Directions
For the full recipe instructions, scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Boil the baby potatoes in a large pot of water until very tender. The time will depend on the size of your potatoes. Use a fork to test when they are done and very soft. Remove the potatoes from the pot and let them dry off. Lay the boiled potatoes on the baking sheet. Using the bottom of a cup or drinking glass, press each potato until its “smashed” and flattened.
In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, paprika, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Mix until combined. Using a pastry brush, evenly brush the oil and seasonings over the top of the smashed potatoes. Place the baking sheet in the oven for 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and add a sprinkling of parmesan cheese to each potato. Place the pan back in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the parmesan is golden brown and the potatoes are crispy.
Tips & Variations
- Be sure to cook the potatoes until fork tender. You want them to be very soft but not falling apart in the water so you can easily smash them. Make sure the large potatoes cook all the way through as the smaller potatoes will cook faster.
- If you're looking to add more flavor—black pepper, fresh thyme, fresh parsley, and fresh rosemary could be great additions to these crispy garlic parmesan potatoes.
- Feel free to add more parmesan based on your personal preference.
- Be sure to place the potatoes on a single layer on the baking sheet to create ideal crispiness.
We recommend storing the leftovers in an airtight container and then reheating in the air fryer. You could also reheat in the oven using the broil mode.
Yes, this recipe is gluten-free and vegetarian. For a dairy-free and vegan option, simply omit the parmesan.
If you like these crispy smashed potatoes, check out a few of our other easy side dishes:
If you make this smashed potato recipe, please let us know how it turns out in the comments below and/or rate the recipe! Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram to show us your finished product—it makes our day every time we see you trying the recipes we love!
Crispy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- 1.5 lbs baby potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean-up.
- Boil the baby potatoes in a large pot of water until very tender. The time will depend on the size of your potatoes. Use a fork to test when they are done, they should be very soft. Remove the potatoes from the pot and let them dry off. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet. Using the bottom of a cup, press each potato until its “smashed” and flattened.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, paprika, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Mix until combined. Using a pastry brush, evenly brush the oil and seasonings over the top of the smashed potatoes.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top of the potatoes. Place the pan back in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the parmesan is golden brown and the potatoes are crispy.
The recipe can be found on My Fitness Pal by searching "BWB Smashed Potatoes."
The nutrition content provided for each recipe is an estimate created through the My Fitness Pal database. Please be aware that the nutritional content of each recipe may vary based on the products you use, the precision of your measurements, and the source you use to obtain nutrition data. While we try to provide accurate information, we give no guarantee regarding the accuracy of the nutritional information provided.